Biology is a multidisciplinary cutting-edge field encompassing the vast diversity of life from the smallest amino acid to ecosystem dynamics. The biology program at SUNYIT provides an in-depth introduction to the breadth of the discipline through core courses while maintaining the flexibility to explore one of three specialization tracks.
- The Life Science track is for students who have an interest in biology on an organismal or physiological level and wish to study the roles and interdependence that organisms have within an ecological system.
- The Bioinformatics track is for students who have an interest in using computers to analyze genetic information or protein structure and functions.
- The Biotechnology track (anticipated 2015) is for students who are interested in biology on a molecular or chemical level in such areas as biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology.
Biology brochure (pdf)
Courses are taught by full-time faculty who are dedicated to quality education through scholarship and research. The breadth of our faculty interests and experiences enable students to specialize in subdisciplines of biology such as ecology and evolutionary biology, entomology, botany, physiology, and cell biology. Class sizes are small to ensure personalized attention so students get the most out of their education at SUNYIT.
Our facilities include a number of well-equipped laboratories and for science students who prefer a larger lab experience, the SUNYIT campus includes hundreds of acres of forest and wildflower areas. In addition, SUNYIT is close to diverse ecosystems such as the Utica Marsh, Rome sand plains, and the Adirondack Mountains.
A Bachelor of Science in Biology prepares students for a variety of exciting careers working for:
- Research Laboratories
- Botanical Gardens/Arboretums
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Computational Biology Firms
- Private/Government Biotechnology Companies
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- US Department of Environmental Conservation
- US Department of Agriculture
OR continue your education:
- MS or PhD Graduate Student in a wide variety of disciplines
- Medical School
- Veterinary School
Flip through the Biology brochure