Technical Information & Requirements for Blackboard
Blackboard is a web browser dependent system. Follow the guidance below for optimal system performance.
- A laptop or desktop computer with Internet access is required for full functionality in Blackboard courses. Not all Blackboard content or features are available on mobile devices.
- Some degree programs may have additional hardware requirements for courses.
- Use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for best performance.
- Clear the browser cache and cookies on a weekly basis.
- Refer to the Open SUNY Browser Compatibility Test to make sure your browser and plugins meet the requirements. For additional information about browsers, refer to the latest Browser Support Bulletin at Blackboard Help.
- High-speed, broadband, and DSL internet connections are recommended. Dial-up connections are not recommended for fully online courses.
- Always use a hardwired network connection when taking on-line exams and tests. A dip in signal strength can interfere with completion of your test.
- Always compose your work off-line and save it as a file on your computer. You can copy/paste from the saved file into the text box, or attach and upload the saved file. These precautions will help prevent data loss.
- Always use the Logout button to exit Blackboard. Do not close the browser to exit.
- Never open Blackboard in multiple windows or tabs. It can cause you to lose your login session and work.
Additional tips to avoid problems are in the Open SUNY Blackboard Student Orientation.