Circulation Desk: (315) 792-7246
- Borrowing Privileges, Rights, and Responsibilities
- Loan Periods
- Overdue Fines
- Damaged or Lost Material
Library staff recognize and protect the rights of library users, including the rights to privacy and confidentiality as established by New York State law (CPLR § 4509).
All current students, faculty, staff, and paid Alumni Association members may borrow library material for free.
In addition, the library has agreements with the local colleges listed below so that their students may borrow our library material and our students may borrow their library material. Interested parties must have proper identification and proof of current registration.
Residents of Oneida, Herkimer and Madison Counties who wish to borrow material must purchase a Community Borrower's card for the one-time fee of $5.00. Photo identification with proof of current address is required to establish an account.
Obtaining a Library Card
Your SUNYIT ID is your library card. If you are not a student and do not have a SUNYIT ID, a library card will be provided at the Circulation desk.
Anyone registering or updating borrowing privileges will be asked to produce either proof of registration or some sort of identification with their name, picture and current address, for example, tuition receipt, parking receipt, alumni association card, registration receipt, course schedule, or driver's license.
Borrowing Library Materials
To borrow material, present a valid SUNYIT ID or library card at the Circulation Desk.
Any material charged to your account is your responsibility. Please notify the library and University Police if your card is lost or stolen.
Items available for borrowing are located in the circulating stacks on the second floor and in the Government Documents and DVD collections on the first floor. Journals, newspapers, reference books, microfilm and most reserve materials may be used only in the library. Selected reserve material may leave the library for limited periods (See Reserves Policies & Procedures)
Returning Library Materials
Borrowers are encouraged to return their books to the Circulation Desk when the library is open.
- The standard loan period for books is 28 days, with the exception of faculty/staff who may borrow material for an academic semester. All books are due at the end of the semester, even if they were checked out less than 28 days before the end of the semester.
- A total of 30 books may be charged out to any one user.
- Library users are allowed to renew a book once, unless it has been requested by another user. Renewals may be requested in person or by telephone.
- Overdue books will be charged a fine of $.20/day for each book that is overdue up to a maximum of $20.00 per book. Due dates are stamped inside the book.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy; failure to receive a notice does not exempt one from overdue fines.
- If overdue books or fines are not resolved, library staff will place a user's account on hold within the campus information system (Banner). Borrowing privileges will be suspended and students will be denied registration, grades, diploma, and transcripts.
- Library users are responsible for all material checked out on their library accounts. Should an item become damaged or lost, users will be billed a replacement cost plus overdue fines and a $10.00 processing fee.
- If a user arranges to provide a replacement copy, the user is still responsible for paying the overdue fine and a processing fee for that item. If a lost item is found within one year and is returned with a receipt, the library will refund the replacement cost of the item but not the fine or processing fee.