Xinchao (Steven) Wei, Ph.D., P.E.
State University of New York Institute of Technology
Department of Engineering, Science, and Mathematics
100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502
(315) 792-7434 (Phone), (315) 792-7800 (Fax), Weix@sunyit.edu
Education and Registration
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, West Virginia University, 2005
- P.E., Registered in West Virginia, 2007 to present
2011 – present Assistant Professor, State University of New York Institute of Technology
2007 – 2010 Research Assistant Professor, West Virginia University
2006 – 2007 Engineering Scientist/Postdoc Fellow, West Virginia University
1996 – 2001 Lecturer/Assistant Professor, Northeastern University (Shenyang, China)
- Water quality and water chemistry
- Nanomaterials and nanotechnology
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Restoration of impaired waters
- Industrial and hazardous wastes
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Wei, X., Wei, H., and Viadero, R.C. (2011). “Post-reclamation water quality trend in a Mid-Appalachian watershed of abandoned mine lands.” Science of the Total Environment, 409(5), 941-948.
- Hedrick, L.B., Welsh, S.A., Anderson, J.T., Lin, L.-S., Chen, Y., and Wei, X. (2010). “Response of benthic macroinvertebrate communities to highway construction in an Appalachian watershed.” Hydrobiologia, 641,115–131.
- Chen, Y., Viadero, Jr., R.C., Wei, X., Hedrick, L.B., Welsh, S.A., Anderson, J.T., and Lin, L.-S. (2009). “Linking multiple landscape factors to stream health in a Mid-Atlantic Highlands watershed, USA: Implications for new highway construction.” Journal of Environmental Quality, 38, 1-11.
- Wei, X., Viadero, Jr., R.C., and Bhojappa, S. (2008). “Phosphorus removal by acid mine drainage sludge from secondary effluents of municipal wastewater treatment plants.” Water Research, 42(13), 3275-3284.
- Wei, X., and Viadero, Jr., R.C. (2007). “Adsorption and precoat filtration studies of synthetic dye removal by acid mine drainage sludge.” Journal of Environmental Engineering, 133(6), 633-640.
- Wei, X., and Viadero, Jr., R.C. (2007). “Synthesis of magnetite nanoparticles with ferric iron recovered from acid mine drainage: Implications for environmental engineering.” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 294(1-3), 280-286.
- Viadero, Jr., R.C., Wei, X., and Buzby K.M. (2006). “Characterization and Dewatering Evaluation of Acid Mine Drainage Sludge from Ammonia Neutralization.” Environmental Engineering Science, 23(4), 734-743.
- Wei, X., Viadero, Jr., R.C., and Buzby K.M. (2005). “Recovery of iron and aluminum from acid mine drainage by selective precipitation.” Environmental Engineering Science, 22(6), 745-755.
Presentations and Proceedings Papers
- Buzby, K.M., X. Wei, and K.J. Semmens, “A Procedure To Optimize The Size Of A Flow-Through Aquaponics System,” Aquaculture America 2011, New Orleans, LA, Feb. 28-March 3, 2011
- Cardona, I., and X. Wei, “Selenium Removal by Magnetite Impregnated Diatomaceous Earth,” The 85th Annual Meeting of West Virginia Academy of Science, Morgantown, WV, April 10, 2010
- Buzby, K.M., T.P. West, X. Wei, and K.J. Semmens, “Nutrient removal by aquaponic crops”, Aquaculture America 2010, San Diego, CA, March 2-5, 2010
- Bhojappa, S., I. Cardona, and X. Wei, “Removal of Selenium from Aqueous Solution by Magnetite Nanoparticles,” WVNano Research Symposium, Morgantown, WV, May 11, 2009.
- Liu, M., X. Wei, and B. Van Aken “Oil Shale Bioextraction using Thermophilic Bacteria and Archaea,” The 84th Annual Meeting of West Virginia Academy of Science, Glenville, WV, March 28, 2009
- Wei, X. “Beneficial Use of Waste Sludge from Acid Mine Drainage Treatment,” 2009 SME Annual Meeting & Exhibit, Denver, CO, February 22-25, 2009
- Buzby, K.M., T.P. West, X. Wei, and K.J. Semmens “Limitations To Nutrient Removal In A Flow-Through Aquaponics System,” Aquaculture America 2009, Seattle, WA, February 15-18, 2009
- Wei, X., and W. Ravenscroft “Corridor H Stream Monitoring Study: An Overview,” West Virginia Division of Highways Corridor H Mitigation Meeting, Charleston, WV, August 13, 2008
- Chen, Y., R.C. Viadero, X. Wei, L.B. Hedrick, S.A. Welsh, J. T. Anderson, and L.-S. Lin “Impacts Of Highway Construction on Stream Water Quality and Macroinvertebrate Index in Mid-Atlantic Highlands” 93rd ESA Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, WI, August 3-8, 2008
- Wei, X., and W. Ravenscroft “Corridor H Stream Monitoring Study: Research Progress,” West Virginia Division of Highways Spring Technical Meeting, Weston, WV, January 11, 2008
- Viadero, R. and X. Wei “Synthesis of Magnetite Nanoparticles from Reclaimed Acid Mine Drainage,” 79th ACS Colloid and Surface Science Symposium, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, June 12-14, 2005.
- Peng, F.F., and X. Wei “Mitigation Technologies for Avoiding Carbon Dioxide Building up in the atmosphere,” 2002 Joint Spring Meeting, West Virginia Coal Mining Institute and West Virginia Coal Association, Charleston, WV, May 2-4, 2002.
- NSF panel member for Environmental Health and Safety of Nanotechnology (EHSN) program (Nov. 2010)
- Session Chair, West Virginia Academy of Science 85th Annual Meeting (April 2010)
- Peer reviewer for Georgia National Science Foundation (2009 and 2010)
- Reviewer for 12 professional journals in the area of environmental engineering.