Peter A. Karl III
12 Steuben Park
Utica, New York 13501-2992
(315) 735-6406 (Fax)
University of Notre Dame
Bachelor of Business Administration (with Honors) May 1975 (Accounting major)
Albany Law School
Juris Doctor, June 1978.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Master of Business Administration May 1979.
- Admitted to the New York State Bar (Appellate Division, Supreme Court, Third Department) on January 17, 1979.
- Admitted to the Federal Bar (United States District Court, Northern District of New York) on January 17, 1979.
- Admitted to the United States Tax Court on January 22, 1980.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified in NY on November 23, 1979; License #39893.
Paravati, Karl, Green & DeBella
Attorneys at Law
12 Steuben Park
Utica, New York 13501
12/86 to present
Professor of Law and Taxation (tenure)
SUNY Institute of Technology School of Business
P.O. Box 3050
Utica, New York
1/82 to present
246 Genesee Street
CPA's Utica, New York 13501
2/83 to 12/86
Accountant, Tax Department
Shaye, Lutz, Schwartz and King, CPA's
(Now Coopers & Lybrand)
Albany, New York (11/78 to 1/82)
- Author of the following:
- "Twenty Questions About Paying for College – Demystifying Financial Aid and the Related Tax Benefits" December 2006 CPA Journal (co-authored with Edward Petronio and Kenneth Wallis)
- "Twenty Questions About Tax Resources on the Internet" July 2005 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered About Elder Planning", cover story, May 2004 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered About Deferred Realty Exchanges Under IRC 1031", May 2003 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered About Tax Resources on the Internet", September 2001 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions on Protecting Business and Family Assets", February 2000 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered About Business Entities in Light of LLC's", August 1999 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered When Dealing With IRS Collections (Including The Effect of Bankruptcy and The 1998 IRS Reform Legislation)", February 1999 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered About Trusts and Their Use in Family Wealth Preservation", September 1998 CPA Journal.
- "Twenty Questions Answered by the Final Section 1031 Regulations" (September 1991 cover story co-authored with Danny Santucci) published in The Practical Accountant.
- Tax Deferred Exchanges published by the Foundation for Accounting Education/Nichols Education Corp. 2006, New York, New York (Revised annually since its initial publication in 1991).
- Partnership Taxation - 1987; published by the Foundation for Accounting Education, New York, NY.
- Tax Strategies - 1988; and The 1988, 1989 and 1990 Taxation Series for the Graduate Realtor Institute (II and III) for the New York State Association of Realtors, Albany, New York.
- Refereed paper entitled "Twenty Questions Answered about Trust and Their Use in Family Wealth Preservation" accepted for presentation at an International Conference sponsored by the Academy of Business Administration in London, England in June of 1995.
- Editorial Board Member CPA Journal (appointed to a three year term beginning on June 1, 2006).
- Past contributor/reviewer to three current textbooks:
- Modern Real Estate Practice in New York, 2006, published by the Real Estate Education Company.
- Business Law - Objective Questions and Answers, 2006, published by Accounting Publications of Gainesville, Florida.
- Federal Tax - Objective Questions and Answers, 2006, published by Accounting Publications of Gainesville, Florida.
- Faculty member - Real Estate Institute of New York University (NYU), presenting eight and sixteen hour solo seminars.
- Acted as a substitute Radio Talk Show Host (compensated) - WMCA, New York City; Programs dealt with tax, financial and investment topics.
- Prolific Lecturer and Seminar Leader with over 300 presentations across the nation before audiences of accountants, realtors, lawyers and bankers. The highlights of this activity include:
- January 2004 - Keynote seminar leader, National Meeting of the Society of Exchange Counselors in Tampa, Florida.
- November 2003 - Full day presentation in Anchorage, Alaska to a gathering of tax accountants.
- June 2000 - Presentation before tax accountants in Warm Springs, Oregon - Prior appearances in June 1998 (Salem, OR); June 1996 (Bend, OR) and June 1992 (Newport, OR).
- November 1998 - One day seminar in San Francisco before the National Society of Real Estate Exchange Counselors.
- August, 1990 - One of the national seminar leaders for an annual convention of accountants in Anchorage, Alaska;
- February, 1989 - Shared the speaker's podium with former New York City Mayor Rudolph Guiliani in an appearance before more than 150 CPAs and Attorneys for a two hour pre-dinner seminar and Mr. Guiliani presented the post-dinner speech in Albany, NY;
- December, 1986 - Sole speaker for a sixteen hour seminar on the Tax Reform Act of 1986 which was sponsored by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). This seminar was held at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, before an audience of more than five hundred CPAs from across the United States and Canada;
Interests: Downhill skiing and rollerblading (with my IPOD), tennis, outdoor platform tennis in the winter, mountain biking, kayaking, and anything to do with the “Fighting Irish of Notre Dame”
- Treasurer of the Oneida County Bar Association 1984 - Present.
- Oneida County Bar Association Directors Award (for Outstanding Service to the Bar Association and the Legal Profession) 1995 and 2001.
- Awarded one of the University of Notre Dame's national "Alumnus of the Year" awards in May of 1990.